Frequently Asked Questions
Resources for students, professionals and the public seeking information about accredited psychoanalytic education and training programs.
1. What is the ACPEinc?
2. What is the mission of the ACPEinc?
3. Why should a program seek ACPEinc accreditation?
4. What are the advantages to candidates?
Accreditation Standards and Process
5. Does the ACPEinc require adherence to a specific school of psychoanalysis or a particular approach to psychoanalytic education?
6. How can a program apply for ACPEinc accreditation?
7. What about new psychoanalytic education and training programs?
8. Is there a fee for accreditation?
9. Can one contribute money to the ACPEinc?
10. Which programs are currently accredited?
11. How can one contact the ACPEinc?
1. What is the ACPEinc? The Accreditation Council for Psychoanalytic Education, Inc. is an autonomous accrediting body that was established in 2001 as a Delaware (USA) not-for-profit corporation to implement the Standards of Psychoanalytic Education that the Psychoanalytic Consortium had delineated. While it began as a project of the Consortium and received some - but not all - of its funding from members of the Consortium, the ACPEinc functions as an independent agency.
2. What is the mission of the ACPEinc? The ACPEinc has a twofold mission: to protect the public by evaluating and accrediting psychoanalytic education and training programs in the United States and to promote excellence in psychoanalytic education. By its accrediting function the ACPEinc aims to assure that psychoanalytic programs educate practitioners of psychoanalysis to appropriate standards.
3. Why should a program seek ACPEinc accreditation? It seems reasonable to believe that a program that adheres to the Standards of Psychoanalytic Education will welcome the opportunity to have the high quality of its program endorsed by an independent agency. The ACPEinc is that agency.
The self-study exercise that is the essential element of the application allows a program to review for itself the extent to which it meets its own stated objectives. The site visit and reporting process affords a program opportunities to view itself in the eyes of colleagues from other parts of the country. This provides affirmation and the basis for continuing self improvement.
ACPEinc accreditation immediately provides university-affiliated programs status equal to that of other advanced programs in graduate schools, which customarily require each such program to gain accreditation by its relevant independent review agency.
Eventually, successful participation in the ACPEinc accreditation process will allow both freestanding and university-affiliated institutes to present their psychoanalytic training programs as subspecialty Fellowships - or as education for a new health care specialty. This will consolidate the position of psychoanalysis in the world of academic professional training, in which accreditation by independent agencies such as the ACPEinc is the norm.
4. What are the advantages to candidates? ACPEinc accreditation assures prospective candidates that a program that they may be considering provides appropriate training in the core elements of psychoanalytic theory and practice and an introduction to research in these areas.
Graduation from an ACPEinc-accredited program will confer eligibility to sit for national certification examination.
Accreditation Standards and Process
5. Does the ACPEinc require adherence to a specific school of psychoanalysis or a particular approach to psychoanalytic education? The ACPEinc is aware that psychoanalysis is a rich and diverse profession and that its Standards may be implemented in various ways. We expect only that each program will adhere to the Standards and that it will implement its own standards and values in a coherent and consistent fashion.
6. How can a program apply for ACPEinc accreditation? Our website, ACPEinc.org, contains a recommended Self Study Guide/Application document and information about the process from application through accreditation. Programs may request a mentor, who will often be a Trustee of the ACPEinc, to provide specific information, support and guidance.
7. What about new psychoanalytic education and training programs? The ACPEinc accredits only established programs, but we will offer support and guidance to the founders of a new program from the earliest phase of their work, to help assure that their program will, in due course, meet ACPEinc standards.
8. Is there a fee for accreditation? Yes. Starting June 1, 2013, the ACPEinc has instituted an accreditation fee structure for Member renewals as well as Training Programs seeking accreditation. For details, please review the ACPEinc accreditation fees »
9. Can one contribute money to the ACPEinc? Yes. Checks may be made out to Treasurer, ACPEinc and mailed to ACPEinc, PO Box 25, Morton, PA 19070 ; or one can donate on line through the PayPal donation form on our web site. We are immensely grateful to the generous donors - individuals and groups - who make our work possible.
10. Which programs are currently accredited? Information on accredited programs can be found on the Accredited Programs page of the ACPEinc.org website.
11. How can one contact the ACPEinc? Please use our contact form or send an email to:
- Barbara Matos (Administrator), Administrator@ACPEinc.org
- William A. MacGillivray (President), President@ACPEinc.org